The DPS Society (DPSS) is a non-profit, non-proprietary educational body widely recognized for its selfless and unstinting committed to excellence in education.
The DPSS established its first school in 1949 at Mathura Road in New Delhi. Today it has more than 100 schools in India and abroad apart from 9 core schools and its affiliates in Delhi alone.
DPSS under the able guidance of stalwart like Mr. V. K. Shunglu, Chairman DPSS seeks to provide holistic and quality education to all members of society. This is suitably reflected in its motto' Service before Self '. DPS Schools have produced self confident, self-reliant individuals who are versatile and endowed with a spirit of adventure and creativity. The Council of Educational Planning and Training (CEPT) encourages and promotes innovative trends in education that help both the teachers and the students. The Council of Environment Education and Culture (CEEC) helps children in all DPS Schools to value, conserve and preserve their natural environment. The Arts and Heritage Council, the Media, Publication, Sports and Health divisions also foster quality education.
The DPSS has initiated the setting up of Shiksha Kendras that enable children from the underprivileged sections of society to be educated and empowered. Projects like the EDULINKS (Satellite based collaborative learning) and LEAP (Learning Exchange and Association Platform) have linked together various DPS Schools.
Thus DPS Society has proved that with determination, good management, right vision and altruism one can produce global citizens with the right moral fiber, who are ready to be the torchbearers of the 21st Century.
Mr V.K.Shunglu - Chairman of the DPS Society
Member, The DPS Society since 1998
A postgraduate in History from the University of Delhi, Mr Shunglu joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1962. Mr Shunglu worked as Special Secretary in the Ministry of Power, and Secretary in the Departments of Company Affairs, in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and in the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
Mr Shunglu has worked with Asian Development Bank in Manila and at the Economic Development Institute of the World Bank. He also worked as Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
He has held the position of Chairman of the UN Board of Auditors General and is currently a member of the UN Panel of External Auditors. He is a Member of the Governing Board of International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI) and Chairman of INTOSAI Standing Committee on EDP Audit. He took over as Secretary General of Asian Organization of the Supreme Audit Institution.
He continues to be External Auditor to the World Tourism Organization, Madrid, the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Trieste and the Organization for Prevention of Chemical Weapons headquartered at The Hague. Recently, Mr Shunglu was appointed as the External Auditor of the International Maritime Organization headquartered at London and of the Food and Agriculture Organization at Rome.
The schools of the DPS Society are centres where:
- We aim to preserve and enhance the highest standards of excellence and prepare generations for the 21st century.
- DPS students are helped to master the expanding horizons of technology as also become the repository of a deep commitment to Indian ethos and culture in its pristine form.
- DPS students are equipped to access the best opportunities of growth and advancement by being prepared linguistically and culturally for them. The concept of enlightened citizen of the world will be the backdrop of all their endeavours.
- DPS students will be carefully sensitised to environmental concerns, the feeling of nationalism and communal harmony.
- DPS schools are available to the best minds at the most reasonable and affordable cost. No deserving and talented child will find the doors of DPS closed because of financial disability. Special efforts are made through resource centres for children with special needs. Education of the marginalised children is being ensured through non formal learning centres, DPS Shiksha Kendras.